Cree is looking for a self-motivated, hands-on mechanical engineer to design LED based lighting fixtures for indoor and outdoor applications. This engineer will work within cross functional groups consisting of Marketing, Engineering, Compliance, and Manufacturing. The development process includes concept/architecture, research, design, qualification testing, and introducing products into production. Design will include computer simulation and analysis for strength and thermal performance. Responsibilities also include support of product introduction and on-site technical support. A successful candidate will be a resourceful problem solver who is able to work around technical obstacles and will be adept at the implementation of practical solutions.
What can Cree do for you?
- Opportunities to apply creative problem solving, and see those solutions implemented in large scale projects
- Opportunities to work directly with, and learn from, an intelligent and diverse group of engineering teams, operations teams, marketing teams
- Encouraged to think innovatively in a dynamic environment
- Opportunity to work in a quickly evolving market at a leader in the industry. Be a part of a team that really gets things done!
What can you do for Cree?
- Develop, sustain and improve LED based light fixtures for general illumination applications.
- Lead and direct the work of other engineers and technicians of various disciplines including LED, Optical, Electrical, and Manufacturing.
- Perform complex tasks and manage own projects with little oversight.
- Perform complex engineering analysis using theory and experience in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, optics, static and dynamic systems and material science.
- Lead design from concept to production hand-off including engineering analysis, simulation, part design, tooling design, test, prototype build, component and fixture qualification, safety approvals and production integration.
- Provide technical expertise in fabrication methodologies including extrusions, aluminum die castings, plastic injection molding, sheet metal, and finishing processes.
- Work in a structured development process with design performance verified against product requirements and design specifications.
- Work directly with Operations and Manufacturing Engineering to ramp up new products and processes into production.
- Work closely with other engineering disciplines to optimize system design for performance, regulatory compliance, and cost.
- Present design and analysis results to engineers and management to lead system optimization.
- Interface with suppliers to evaluate second sources and resolve technical issues that may arise in manufacturing and to improve cost and quality of designs.
- Identify, initiate and implement solutions for process/product development that improves performance, reduces cost, strengthens yield, and increases capability.
- Provide technical support and instruction to staff and customers regarding equipment standards, and help solve specific, difficult in-service engineering problems.
- Provide training to other personnel to improve overall capabilities and knowledge.
- Work across company functional organizations to ensure project success.
What you need for success:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering.
- 5-8 years of mechanical engineering experience in a product development environment.
- Strong technical background in mechanical engineering principles including heat transfer, strengths of materials, statics, dynamics and machine design.
- Significant experience in mechanical designs and virtual testing through the use of simulation software required.
- Proficient with SolidWorks (or equivalent 3D modeling system).
- Proficient in GD&T.
- Proficient with structural and thermal analysis, simulation, and modeling.
- Demonstrated experience in a variety of production environments involving aluminum die castings, injection molding, extrusions, sheet metal and optical components.
- Knowledge and experience with adhesives, epoxies and other reactive polymers.
- Ability to work independently and be self-sufficient while managing multiple projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter with strong personal work ethic. Must have a “whatever it takes” attitude.
- Willing to travel – both domestic and international.
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- MS in Mechanical Engineering or other technical related field.
- Experience with LED lighting products is a plus.