You will support Cree’s highly successful Lighting organization to proactively seek and manage strategic electronics and power supply suppliers and manufacturers who can meet or exceed Cree’s expectations for quality, sustainability, technical competency, reliability and cost competitiveness through supplier evaluations, formal quality audits, supplier development initiatives and supplier monitoring/ scorecarding. You will partner with the global commodity managers and technical leaders in power electronics to find and manage “the right quantity of the right suppliers,” ensuring Cree’s high quality standards are met enabling significant growth for our world class indoor and outdoor commercial lighting business.
Additionally, this position will be responsible for managing supplier development initiatives related to Supplier Corrective Action Reports (SCARS), component nonconformities, continuous improvement projects and supporting NPI part and product qualifications.
This position can be based in Durham, NC or Racine, WI.
What can Cree do for you?
- Chance to join a fast paced and fast growth environment.
- This person will have a significant impact on Cree’s bottom line and product line going forward
- This person will be very high profile within the company
- This position will have a direct impact on the quality of our products.
What can you do for Cree?
- Identify and evaluate potential electronic and power supply/ driver suppliers for Cree’s diverse commercial lighting product portfolio
- Ensure OEM/ ODM/ EMS driver manufacturing partners are meeting Cree’s expectations through process and product control verifications/ audits
- Support Cree’s supplier evaluation and supplier scorecard processes to ensure effective continuous improvement in supply chain, including driving the attainment of accurate and effective supplier performance data and metrics.
- Develop supply chain risk assessment methodologies, present these risks to the Cree leadership team and use your influence to drive sourcing decisions based on appropriate risk to the overall Cree business
- Facilitate regular yield and quality metric reviews with critical suppliers, OEM, EMS and ODM partners
- Perform supplier audits to assess competence in quality management system (based on ISO 9001:2015 or TS16949:2009), technical capabilities, RoHS, sustainability, etc. Document and report on supplier evaluation, including risks and competencies
- Work with manufacturing, engineering, quality, supply chain, R&D to determine future needs and requirements in electronic suppliers and supplied products
- Ensure the Cree specifications and quality requirements are understood and agreed upon with the supplier, including advanced power supply reliability test requirements
- Work with manufacturing and engineering to support component and product qualification builds with supplier/OEM/ODM/EMS and drive continuous improvement
- Assess supplier RoHS capabilities and audit suppliers for RoHS adherence and traceability
- Generate Supplier Corrective Action Reports (SCARS) and drive root cause and corrective action with suppliers/OEM/ODM/EMS to ensure effectiveness
- Generate metrics (KPIs) and present to suppliers along with improvement plans/ expectations
- Track supplier improvement initiatives ensuring continuous improvement
What you need for success:
- 5+ Years Quality Engineering (preferable supplier quality)
- BS Electrical Engineering or very strong working knowledge of electrical components, power supplies/ drivers and electronics manufacturing (EMS)
- Hands-on, practical knowledge of IPC-A-610, Class II solder workmanship standards
- Detailed knowledge of the methodologies used for power supply/ driver qualification testing and reliability assurance testing (HALT, HASS, HASA, etc.)
- Must be independent, highly motivated, hard working, influential leader
- Must be able to travel internationally without restriction 50-70% of the time
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- 3+ Years experience with ISO9001:2008 or TS16949:2009 Quality Management Systems
- 3+ Years experience with ISO9001:2008 auditing (internal or external auditing)
- Practical experience and knowledge of printed circuit board (SMA/ SMT) manufacturing (EMS)
- Practical experience and knowledge of electro-mechanical assemblies
- Strong statistical analysis skills
- Experience with continuous improvement processes such as Lean methodologies and root cause analysis techniques
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- 10+ Years Quality Engineering experience, focusing on electronics, power supply/ driver commodities
- Six Sigma black belt
- 5+ Years experience in electronics contract manufacturing or EMS manufacturing
- LED or lighting industry experience