Cree is looking to add a Manager of Quality to our organization. This position, which reports to Cree’s Director of Quality for LED Products Business Unit (BU), will be in Durham, North Carolina. This person will lead the Quality organization’s responsibility to establish, implement, maintain and continually improve the BU’s Supplier Quality Management (SQM) policies and practices to ensure that the BU’s suppliers meet our requirements. In addition, He/She will ensure the BU’s SQM policies and practices achieve and maintain compliance to the adopted standards of IATF 16949:2016, ISO 9001:2015, and key customer requirements.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Lead the BU’s effort to upgrade current SQM practices to improve supplier and supplied item qualification and surveillance activities to the reduce occurrences and risks of product affecting supplier excursions. Upgrade SQM policies and practices to accommodate tiered suppliers and supplied items suitable to business need requirements such as automotive, key and commodity supplier types. This includes:
- Establish improved practices and protocols for assessing and qualifying supplier to be on the BU’s Approved Supplier List.
- Establish improved practices and protocols for assessing and qualifying supplied items to be on the BU’s Qualified Items list.
- Establish tiers of Quality Agreements suitable to the BU’s needs. Work with Supply Chain to deploy track and manage supplier’s adherence to these AQM agreements.
- Integrate the effective use of APQP/PPAP policies and method in a tiered manner across the supply base.
- Work with Engineering (Design and Manufacturing Engineers) team during our New Product Introduction process to define supplier requirements that should be addressed during supplied item qualifications.
- This includes establishing policies and protocols for assessing the manufacturing readiness of suppliers during NPI to ensure they are capable of delivering to the required quality standards. Work with Supplier Chain to carry out these readiness audits.
- Lead the BU’s quality supplier development strategy, designing, implementing and publishing the quality metrics, including supplier scorecards, for supplier performance. Review and evaluate supplier quality data to identify process improvement opportunities within the supply chain. Work with Supply Chain to address identified areas of concerns for both existing and candidate new suppliers.
- Working jointly with Supply Chain, conduct regular Supplier Reviews meetings with key suppliers to provide them feedback and drive further improvement.
- Manage BU’s Supplier Corrective Action Request (SCAR) process to ensure timely and effective the root cause analysis and corrective actions process of supplier quality issues. Perform on-site supplier visits for root cause analysis and verification of corrective actions of supplier quality issues when needed.
- When appropriate work with the supplier directly, to create corrective action plans to address process failures.
- Review supplier manufacturing processes, collaborate with suppliers on process improvement and value enhancement opportunities.
- Promote the use of customer preferred techniques for continuous improvement such as Lean, Six-Sigma, Poka-Yoke (Error Proofing), Measurement System Analysis and FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis), Maverick Programs.
- Define PPAP requirements by Supplier type. Organize within the BU the review of supplier provided PPAP documentation to ensure their adequacy. Manage the PPAP product warrant submission review and approval process.
- Design and implement a Supplier Audit Program that addresses qualification, surveillance and for cause audits. Establish audit criteria, pass/fail criteria and checklists. Work with Supply Chain to implement the Supplier Audit Program. Track and manage the resolution of any audit findings.
- Establish as supplier change notification process that advises the BU on supplier initiated proposed changes. Work with the Engineering/Operations Teams to review approve and qualify proposed changes.
- Demonstrate abilities to lead in problem solving/countermeasure events where quality issues are diagnosed, discussed, and resolved.
- Lead and drive the organization using widely accepted quality techniques such as the 8D problem solving, 5 Whys, Kaizen events, etc.
- Adept at challenging participants to provide timely resolution to quality issues.
- Adept at dealing with quality issues by written documentation, conference calls, or in person.
- Adept with working with other departments to develop plans, presentations and other materials as may be necessary to resolve quality issues and in a timely manner.
- Adept at developing project and implementation plans, be able to drive progress within and across departments to meet objectives per the plan or defined timelines.
- Must be able to provide timely communication across the organization on quality related matters and be willing and able to escalate those issues requiring immediate attention.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a technical field such as Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and/or Industrial Engineering; and/or suitable work experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the design and implementation of Supplier Quality Managements systems.
- The candidate should be familiar with all PPAP elements such that he/she can prepare, review and verify, coach and/or train the organization on their effective use.
- Preferred Certified Lead Auditor to IATF 16949.
- Preferred Lean/Six Sigma certification or equivalent work experience or company certification.
- Demonstrated knowledge of quality assurance and reliability methods and improvement tools.
- Experience in the automotive industry that demonstrates working knowledge for quality requirements, protocols and automotive customer’s expectations is desired.
- Preferred understanding of fundamental Quality and Manufacturing monitoring software, such as SPC software, JMP or Minitab, MS Project, and MS Access.
- 5 years experience as a Supplier Quality Engineer/Supplier Quality Manager who can demonstrate effectively leading an organization to improvement performance using quality methods and approaches.
- Expertise with semiconductor design and manufacturing processes.
- Fluent in English.
- US citizen or Green card holder.
- Must be willing to travel (15% of the time).
Interest Points: PPAP, PFMEA, APQP, DFMEA ,SQM, Supplier Quality Management, Manager, Six Sigma, 8D, Quality Assurance,QA , SPC, TS 16949